This is a great article from DietsinReview.com -- please enjoy the holiday but make sure to make it a healthy day!
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with these Healthy Tips
Today is Cinco de Mayo and I know many people are planning to partake in this Mexican holiday. Depending on how you celebrate this holiday I know a lot of fun, music, food, and alcohol are involved. This year I want to give you some simple tips to keep in mind to have a healthier Cinco de Mayo celebration.chips-and-salsa
* Remember Mexican food with vegetables, seafood, and fruit is healthy, light, and lower in calories.
* Make the food at home. This way you can use lower fat products (2% milk cheeses) to help control calories and fat.
* Use more salsa the guacamole.
* Skip on the sour cream or use a lower-fat or non-fat sour cream.
* Substitute veggies in your dishes in place of meat.
* Choose fish or chicken in place of red meat or pork.
* Use brown rice instead of white rice.
* Cook with liquid vegetable oils instead of animal fats (butter or lard)
* Try corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
* Choose a “Skinny Girl Margarita”— this version of the margarita is lower in calories and makes drinking a little less guilty.
What you’ll need to make one serving:
2 oz. of Clear Premium Tequila (2-3 second pour)
Splash of Orange Liquor
Juice of four Fresh Lime Wedges
Combine all ingredients over a glass of ice and garnish with a lime wedge
Recipe via Bethenny Frenkel, author of Naturally Thin.