Tuesday, May 14, 2013
It cleans up so much faster and I like having the dial on the side, so I can slow it down for juicing greens or softer produce and speed it up for harder produce.
Some Bed Bath and Beyond stores just started carrying this nicer model, which is where I got mine so I could apply the 20% off coupon and I also got the floor model for another 10% off.
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
I make this chocolate protein shake and add Maca Powder aka happy powder. It has a strong taste but it is great for balancing hormones. Good if you have pms, menopausal symptoms, or need energy and a better mood.
Crazy that I used to be allergic to whey and I took it out of my diet for three years and did some good things to heal my gut like bone broth, etc and now I've added it back in and have no problem at all.
Adding flaxseed to my shake is a key ingredient to stay full longer and is good for your skin since it pulls water to the surface and helps wrinkles and we all know the benefits of omega 3's.
- 1 cup coconut milk (fm Trader Joe's)
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- sprinkle vanilla
- three drops sweet leaf stevia
- small sprinkle pink salt
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup organic no sugar applesauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups oat flour (I just took the Trader Joe's gluten free oat and put them in the vitamix (with the dry blades) and made my own flour)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Coat two 9'' pans with coconut oil or butter then sprinkle with oat flour
- In a medium bowl mash bananas with a fork
- Stir in applesauce & vanilla with the bananas
- In a large bowl mix = oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Add the banana mixture to the oat flour mixture & mix
- Pour batter into both pans and back at 400 degrees for 20 min
- Cool the cake then cut into whatever shape you want (we used a cup and just cut out small circles and stacked them up)
the sugar free dairy free frosting recipe was a nightmare and ended up throwing away my first batch that turned out brown and tasted bad :( Oh well. I then resorted to a much easier one I just made up.
not sure the amounts since I just threw it together.
- Large scoop of Greek Yogurt
- Some cream cheese (needed to add to give it some more firmness to stick and stay)
- squirt of agave
- dash of vanilla
Mix with mixer and frost away.
Daniel, Jedi, & Me
he liked it :)
Me & Jedi
Jedi loves his Aunt Jamie
Thursday, April 4, 2013
Cooked in coconut oil gives it a really good flavor
I recommend buying hormone antibiotic free and the healthiest meat you can find. It's amazing how much better it tastes and remember you can't get health from sick animals.
Monday, March 4, 2013
Air travel can cause puffiness and water retention, so I like to drink coconut water prior to my flight as well as on the flight.
If your airport has a Coffee Bean, they normally sell coconut water there. I have also seen it sold in other airport shops as well.
- Potassium in the coconut water flushes out excess water, so it helps with the puffiness from air travel
- Maintains balance in the body and increase metabolism
- Balm for the stomach - good for acidity and heartburn
- electrolites, vitamins, minerals, chlorides
- Alkalizes body
- antibacterial & antiviral (another reason why I down this prior to and on my flight)
I also drink this post-workout for quicker recovery
It is also the perfect drink to pack for a day at the beach to stay hydrated.
Friday, February 8, 2013
I DO NOT recommend wasting your money taking a vitamin C supplement that is isolated vitamin C.
However, I highly recommend taking New Chapter Organics Activated C Food Complex. It works well because it is food based and has great things like tumeric, spinach, elderberry, shitake mushroom, ginger, etc in it.
If you workout, I recommend taking this because it can reduce the exercise-induced oxidative damage and also enhance the health-promoting effects of exercise.
I use coconut oil in the pan, tear up some green kale, add in some chopped garlic, pink salt, and crushed red pepper.
I remove the kale. I like to heat it on high so it gets a little crispy like chips. Then I cook the eggs and leave the yokes runny.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Hate to admit it, but have to share it with you because it's fast, easy, filling, and inexpensive.
My new go to and have on hand for times I don't want to make something or need something quick, so trying to spend less on my grocery bill is this Wild Alaskan Salmon from Trader Joe's mixed with TJ mayonnaise that is made with minimal ingredients like Apple cider vinegar & eggs.
I wish it didn't have canola oil, which is horrible for you and the tin can from the salmon is not the best either, but it is so yummy and keeps me full for hours. It's also nice to have for an easy snack, lunch, or dinner paired up with a salad for sure.
Oh just make sure it says no skin or bones.
We got it from a friend and it is perfect for hiking, traveling, and Jedi loves being in there. We get stopped all the time from people asking us where we got it, so I thought I would post it for all your new moms with little ones. It is a Kelty Junction 2.0 and it also has lots of space for things in the backpack and is a great size unlike some of those really big ones they sell.
I've tried juicing for three days at a time and filling the jars to the top to keep from oxidizing as much, but this tasted WAY more fresh.
- Use Glass jars
- Make sure you leave room for expansion
- Try a small amount of each one to test if it tastes good after being frozen. I guess some vegetables and fruits don't taste as good after being frozen. Might have to experiment here cause I'm not sure which ones yet.
- Let it sit out for a few hours to defrost or slowly defrost in frig.
- I also have 12 oz mason jars, which are my favorite size instead of this jumbo one. Less space taken up in the freezer and still room for expansion. I freeze about 8oz servings.
I've done carrot, collard greens, celery, cucumber and it was good.
I also did grapefruit and it was good.
I froze grapefruit, orange, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry and ate it out of the mason jar with a spoon like sorbet and it was AMAZING.