Thursday, September 19, 2013

Healthy Babies

Jedi loves to eat.  The picture shown is his typical breakfast, which is way more than I eat and I'm pregnant.

Jedi's Breakfast 
1-2 cups gluten free oatmeal
1 Banana
1/2 cup sauted kale
2 eggs
1/4 cantaloup

The worst part is he hardly even chews it. He just stuffs it in by the fist full - not joking.

I'm a huge advocate for feeding kids real food and I often get questions about how to do this, so I will share some of my top breakfast
foods I love for kids.

Breakfast Favorites
Eggs - I always try to get in some type of protein for breakfast and eggs are a good source of fat and protein as well as beneficial for brain development.  I look for eggs that are organic, free range and have dark yokes and a hard shell to crack. Some eggs are labeled as healthy, but as soon as I crack it I know it's not all its cracked up to be.  Farmer's markets seem to have the best.
Oatmeal - I like the Trader Joe's bag of gluten free oats and I put tons of cinnamon in and some coconut oil
Oatmeal Pancakes  - I like these a lot cause they are a lot less mess.  In VitaMix - 2 cups water, 2 cups oatmeal, 1-2 bananas, cinnamon, vanilla and blend. I then mix in blueberries or sliced banana and walnuts
Fruit - Bananas, berries, or cantaloup
Kale - I saute it in grass fed butter or coconut oil and mix with the eggs
Fritatta- Saute vegetables (peppers, kale or spinach, broccoli, etc) add in whisked eggs cook on stop top for a few minutes, then put in the oven for about 18 minutes, cut with pizza cutter into slices. Another one I love cause it's way less messy.
Green Smoothie- 1 cup coconut water, 2 handfuls spinach, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1 tablespoon Hemp Hearts (I prefer this as a snack, since it doesn't have as much protein but it's a good on the go breakfast to take with us.
Almond Butter Wrap- Ezekiel sprouted tortilla with almond butter folded in half. Also a good one for lunch and sometimes I put fresh berries in the middle for a healthy version of a pb&J.

Kids are often times sensitive to textures, so if they don't eat a hard boiled egg they may eat it scrambled. If they don't like raw veggies they may eat them cooked.  Get creative and never give up on feeding your kids real foods.




No comments:

Post a Comment