Friday, April 9, 2010

Eat 2 Lose & Stay Satisfied

Did you know that the average American eats only 12 gm of fiber a day!  
By increasing your fiber intake by just 12 gm you will consume 10% less calories.  So, the average person consumes 2,000 calories and 12gm fiber, if you eat 24 gm fiber you can consume 1800 calories feel like you are eating a ton, but eating less calories. 

Ladies..it is not about starving yourself and being hungry all day.  When you get in enough fiber from fruits & vegetables + lean protein you will eat less calories and stay satisfied all day. 

How much?  Aim for ~35 gm a day.  30-40gm is good. 

The problem: Most people will then reach for Fiber One bars and "Double Fiber" bread- skip the junk food fiber and reach for foods that will really help you.

 Average for 1/2 a cup of vegetables = 4g fiber
Average for 1/2 cup fruit= 3g fiber

I encourage you to figure out how much you are getting from your fruits and vegetables.

 How I get it in...


 
Make them taste Good
One of my favorite desserts is cut up apple and ripe pears, sprinkled w/ cinnamon 
and cooked in skillet until soft.  Served warm.  Like apple pie filling nothing else added.

 
Make a Soup
I love vegetable soup. Watch out for store bought ones like this one I got at the health food store and the label said "Garden Vegetable Soup".  I requested to see the ingredients list only to find wheat flour added to the soup- bummer :( 
I will be making my own soup today. It's cheaper and no added crap.  Watch out for the is those who are gluten-intolerant.


 
I like to snack on raw veggies like these celery sticks and berries dessert are a must.

Substitute Vegetables for Bread
My sandwich has red leaf lettuce, applegate farms chicken, shredded carrots, sprouts, and dijon mustard.

Adding sprouts, shredded radish, carrots, etc can be a great way to get more veggies in.  Replacing vegetables for bread is also another good way to get veggies in.

Those little quishes are so nice to have on hand. 
I used
  • 6 eggs
  • 6 egg whites
  • spinach
  • zucchini
  • asparagus
  • basil
  • tomato
  • brocolli
  • non-dairy hempseed pesto
I mixed it all together and baked them in muffin pans.
I topped it with the Amy's salsa (need to learn how to make a good one myself).
If anyone has a salsa recipe they love. Please do share it below.

Drink your Greens

Green Fix- from the Farmer's market is like a salad in a drink.  Good way to get greens in nice and early when I don't have time to juice.


I love to juice in the am.  Juicing gives me instant energy.


I know salmon for breakfast doesn't sound that appealing, but it is my favorite breakfast. It feel the best when I eat salmon for breakfast.  I paired it up with vegetable juice.

Add it in Where Ever you Can. 
I add vegetables to whatever I can. I added spinach and green onion to these salmon burgers I made.
Grill it
I like to put a vegetables on skewers and grill them with a little olive oil, lemon, and TJ 21 seasoning salute.

No comments:

Post a Comment