Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Real Thing

 Yes...I know look closely it does say "real" mayonnaise.  No.. I did not fall off the wagon.  I actually like this mayo because it just has canola oil, eggs, Apple Cider Vinegar :), water, salt, spices, and lemon.    

Caution: not all real mayo is equal. This the ingredients from the leading brand of real mayo. I would not buy this popular brand of mayo because of the highlighted ingredients.

INGREDIENTS: SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, NATURAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY).

I've tried to make the mayo recipe from the paleo book and I did not love it, but this stuff is really good.

*If you have a recipe for mayo that you like, please share in the comments below.*

If you eat the reduced fat mayo, light, low fat mayo I would toss it- it has chemicals that will do more damage that the fat from real eggs can ever do.
This is the ingredients in the leading brand of light mayo
not good.
INGREDIENTS: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, SUGAR, SALT, XANTHAN GUM**, LEMON AND LIME PEEL FIBERS** (THICKENERS), (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, PHOSPHORIC ACID**, DL ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), NATURAL FLAVORS, BETA CAROTENE**.
**INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE.

here is the low fat label
INGREDIENTS: WATER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH*, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP*, EGG WHITES, SALT, SUGAR, XANTHAN GUM*, LEMON AND LIME PEEL FIBERS*, COLORS ADDED*, LACTIC ACID*, (SODIUM BENZOATE*, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, PHOSPHORIC ACID*, NATURAL FLAVORS. GLUTEN-FREE.
*INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE.

So funny...yeah...it's gluten-free.  Really....and what is "color added" and why do they have to add color.  The website also says no trans fat per serving, but HFCS is trans fat even if it is not enough for the government to label it as such it is dangerous for your body and I will explain all the details at the grocery store trip this Sunday. 

The not so good thing about this is the canola oil - best to stay away from vegetable oils and I will explain more at the workshop this Sat and in my newsletter.
I really like it mixed with the no salt, in water tuna from Trader Joe's and some cut up dill pickles.  I also tried the salmon shown above. It was good, but I liked the tuna a lot better.

I put them in romaine lettuce boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment