Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blog Entry - Changing Relationship with Food

This is a blog entry that was shared with me an I though was really good.  I wanted to share it with you. 

Today I understand what food is not.
Food is not love. It does not mean I love you when it feeds you. More is not more love, it is just more food.
It is not medicine when I feel like **** and want to instantly feel better. It does not take the place of therapy. Or prayer.
It is not a ticker tape parade when I do something great and want to celebrate.
Food does not love me back. It does not care whether I love it or not. It basically sits there and has not opinion about me whatsoever.
Food is not "good" or "bad" as far as having any morality. It can be healthy or unhealthy, yes. And if I eat something I am not GOOD or BAD for having eaten it. 
So, my relationship with food is changing. And I am feeling more empowered to be honest and really honor my body and brain and heart and spirit with this journey I am on

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. I always say that food is either beneficial to your life/body goals or NOT. It's simple. But (like a lot of our relationships) we complicate its role and create bad/good categories for it. Food is not to be demonized nor placed on a pedestal. All food is energy and when it enters our body it delivers whatever it has (vitamins, fat, minerals, sugar, etc.) It's important to form a relationship with food that honors what your body/life needs AND also what is aware of what that particular food delivers.

    ReplyDelete