Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nourished on a Budget

I love the new year cause so many people are motivated to take care of their body, lose weight, workout, and or eat healthier.
I just wanted to share how you can still eat real food and save money and time.

I bought these at Jimbo's cause they sell the bone broth I love and only wanted to go to one store, but you could probably get all this for even less than I did. You could also take $20 off the cost by subtracting the bone broth, so it would all cost $50 instead of $70.17.


What to Buy: 

  • 2 cartons cage free organic eggs (these were a lot cause I eat so many eggs I really care about quality eggs- I always compare brands and look for hard shells, no after taste, yokes that stay together, and there is a huge difference between even the brands labeled as free range organic).  I like to have two for breakfast cooked in coconut oil.  I also hard boil them for snacks.
  • 2 packages of bone broth - or make your own for a fraction of the cost.  
  • celery
  • butternut squash
  • 2 cans diced no salt tomatoes
  • 4 yellow onions
  • cauliflower
  • 2 packages sardines
  • broccoli 
  • red leaf lettuce
  • romaine lettuce
  • garlic
  • kale
  • 1 yam
  • red chard
(already had thyme, olive oil, allspice, cucumber, avocado, and coconut oil for the recipes) 

What I made:

Amazing Vegetable Soup - my mom made this for me when I went home and its delicious.  
I made two batches.  One to give away and one for myself, but you could freeze one and have one in the frig.  I'm also making another soup, so I'm freezing have on one batch and having half in the frig.  




Classic Vegetable Soup - Same one I've posted before.
Saute onions in coconut oil. Add cauliflower, carrots, celery, garlic, whatever other vegetables you have chopped up with bone broth.  bring to a boil. simmer.  put half in blender to make it creamy add back to other half. add avocado on top when eating and whatever protein you like.  I like to add an egg in when I re-heat it on the stove to eat.  

 

Herb Roasted Vegetables - carrots, yam, butternut squash
chop, add olive oil, sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, sea salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder. roast at 375 for 40 min
 Baby Food-
steamed butternut squash and pureed in food processor. Will do the same for carrots.

 Fresh Vegetable Juice
Red chard 1/2 of the bunch, 3 carrots, 3 celery, cucumber in juicer

 I had some then froze the rest.
Here is my frozen juice. I've never tried juicing then putting it straight in the freezer for later.  I will let you know how it goes. 
 Hard boiled eggs- my go to snack

Also made a huge salad (not shown).
The extra onion and have chard is for a swiss chard frittata (recipe is on the blog- super easy)

Cost:$70.17
~Servings I made: 24 cups soup, 20 oz juice, 5 cups roasted vegetables, 5 servings salad, 8 servings for frittata, 12 hard boiled eggs two counted as 1 serving, 2 packages of sardines (to have for protein with the soup- If you hate sardines canned no salt bones or skin salmon at TJ is great and super cheap and easy.  Sardines are not very good, but I love that they have so much omega 3)

I did not include the baby food I made. But pretty much I have no waste all the produce being used up.

The breakdown: ~1.33 a meal & food for the whole week plus extra meals in the freezer.

I should have broke down the time it took me. But I shopped one day ~30 min.
Prepped the food (washed and chopped) when I got home and made the roasted veggies & made the juice.  The next day I cooked the soup.






No comments:

Post a Comment