- [2 T olive oil (only for stove top method)]
- 1 bag (16oz) dry lentils (rinsed)
- 1 chopped red onion
- 5 chopped celery sticks
- 1 1/2 c. chopped carrots
- 1 large chopped zucchini (green, yellow, or both)
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes w/ roasted garlic (undrained)
- 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 4-5 diced cloves garlic
- 1 heaping tsp dried oregano
- 1 heaping tsp dried thyme
- 1 heaping tsp celery salt or regular salt (add more for saltier flavor)
- 1-2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 32 oz.box beef, chicken, or veggie broth
- 4 c. water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
CROCK POT METHOD:
- Once your veggies are all chopped and diced throw them into your kettle or slow cooker.
- Pour your seasonings on top, then add your broth and water.
- Cook in your slow cooker on low for 9-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- If you cook it on the stove top, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven (the bigger the better since this makes a lot).
- Saute the onions, celery, carrots and garlic until they begin to soften and smell really good, about 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook for another minute.
- Add rest of ingredients and cook on med-high until it begins to boil, then lower to medium-low and simmer for about an hour or until lentils and veggies are tender.
- Add more water or stock if it reduces too much or if you like a thinner soup.
- Adjust seasonings and enjoy. (Adding a little fresh oregano and thyme before serving add an extra burst of flavor and freshness.)
(This is for the stove top method; the crock pot method will be a little lower because you don't need the olive oil, which will lower both the calorie and fat content. All values are approximate.)
Serves 8-16, depending on appetite
Serving = 1 cup Calories = 150
Fat = 2g Protein = 8.5 g Fiber = 10