Saturday, November 6, 2010

Basic Vegetable Soup

 In the spring and summer the juicer is my go to for getting in lots of vegetables, but in the fall and winter soups are a staple for me.  They are quick, cheap, filling, and really healthy. 
  1.  Saute 2 onions in raw butter, ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil for 10 minutes
  2. Add 12-14 cups of vegetables (kale, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, etc)
  3. Add chicken stock or bone broth and water up to two inches below the vegetables.  
  4. Add pepper and sea salt or himylayan pink salt
  5. Bring to a boil and simmer for ~30 min 
  6. Eat as is or puree 
 I like to add two heads of cauliflower to make it a really thick, creamy soup.  I also like mine blended, but I will blend half and keep the other half unblended for variety.
I don't add any protein when I make it because this is another way I can add variety so I don't get bored with the same soup every day.
I add any of the following:
  • eggs- really good- I cook the white when I re-heat the soup and then add in raw yoke at the end, so it is runny
  • chicken
  • fish 

No comments:

Post a Comment