Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chop Chop

 My sister in law, Jamie, was asking me what she should pack in her boys lunches.  I asked both my nephews what are some foods they like and don't like and we headed off to Henry's and loaded up a cart full groceries to make a variety of recipes I thought the boys might like and would be good for their lunches. 

I was so happy when I got a picture sent to my phone from Jamie of a healthy lunch she packed for Ryan with one of the chicken recipes I gave her and he said "man this is good chicken"! 
I could not have been happier! 

I know it can take more time and energy to feed your kids real healthy food instead of just grabbing a lunchable and some fruit snacks, but I promise you it will be worth it for the health of your kids and allowing them to be able to reach their full potential academically, physically, and behaviorally.  Keep it up Jamie- Your such an amazing mom! 

To make things easy in the morning my biggest recommendations are sending them to school with left over dinner and a piece of fruit.  You can even pack it the night before when you are cleaning up dinner.  I would get a thermos to keep things warm if need be.  There are also these heat packs, like ice packs that you can put in a lunch box, but I have not tried them myself yet. 

I saw this great magazine Chop Chop at Whole Foods, which has lots of good recipes for kids. 
 It teaches kids some kitchen/cooking basics. 
 It also had some good nutritional information for kids like this article about the difference between white and brown rice and if they were racing who would win and why.

 I like that all the recipes are simple and easy for kids to make and use real whole food. 
I think it is great that the pictures in the magazine include kids making the recipes and doing the prep work for the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment